Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Working out post baby

This week was my first week back at working out since having Charlie. I started doing walks right after he was born, but I started running and doing weights this week. I actually bought Jillian Michaels, from the biggest loser, workout dvd's to use at home when I couldn't get out to workout while with Charlie. They are only 20 min workouts but they are actually pretty good. They have 3 levels that gradually get harder, level one was very doable for me and I even thought it was a little easy but I was sweaty and could tell I was working all the muscle groups. I look forward to trying the harder levels. My first run yesterday was on the treadmill, and I was able to run 3 miles like normal. I didn't know what to expect since I haven't run since maybe my 4th month of pregnancy, but besides having to wear 3 sports bras and some extra protection for any leakage (any mom's out there know what I am talking about) it was as if I never stopped running. And let me tell you how good it felt to be active again. For me, these first few weeks with Charlie have been challenging and that 30 mins of running really allowed me to relax and get out some built up tension. Working out is definitely going to be my release in the weeks and months to come. Well working out and wine, let's be honest.

I think I had a pretty easy pregnancy because of the healthy and active lifestyle I try to maintain. I know everyone is different, and I am sure genes and my age played in my favor, but continuing to workout until the very end of pregnancy I think really allowed me to have little pain or discomfort as my body changed and aided in my quick recovery post birth. It is pretty amazing how the human body can change, grow and adapt during pregnancy. This was my last pregnant photo I have of myself. It was taken on Feb. 14th and Charlie was born on the 18th, I had just been to the gym and did the elliptical for 30 mins.
This is a terrible picture, but this was me in the hospital the day after Charlie arrived.And this was me 2 weeks after Charlie was born, I was able to wear my pre pregnancy clothes basically from the time I was back from the hospital. A lot of people ask how I stayed so fit during my pregnancy, the only advice I would give would be to eat like normal, not for 2, and stay active. I was by no means in the gym 5 days a week, but I made sure I did long walks or pilates at least 3-4 days a week. I am running my 2nd half marathon in a little over 2 months and I already know it will be an emotional run for me to cross that finish line after the changes my body has gone through this past year. I hope in the years to come I am able to continue to run and inspire my family to be healthy by living by example.

1 comment:

  1. You look amazing! As always! So inspiring! Thats why I wont have another till I get my knees to the point where i can do biking/spinning at least 3 days a week.

    ReplyDelete