Monday, June 7, 2010

My new favorites

I am always trying to add nutrients or use healthier ingredients in our meals without compromising taste. I recently found a great organic food store here that I LOVE that carries so many fabulous products. My 3 favorite items right now are agave nectar, wheat germ and apple cider vinegar. Ok, none of these sound that "fabulous" but trust me they are!! Agave Nectar is a natural sweetener. It is in a liquid form so you can add it into teas or coffee, I also add it to my apple cider vinegar but I'll get to that in a sec. I prefer it to adding sugar into anything. Wheat germ is flaky and has a nutty taste. I add it into so many things, it is similar to ground flax that I mentioned in an early post. It is a concentrated source of several essential nutrients including vitamin E and is high in folic acid and many other minerals like iron and zinc. But most importantly it is a good source of fiber. I use it as a bread crumb substitute on many meat dishes, I also add it to shakes or oatmeal and cereal. And lastly apple cider vinegar!! This is my newest addition. This stuff has SO many benefits its crazy. Here are just a few that I copied from a website
  • Reduce sinus infections and sore throats
  • Balance high cholesterol
  • Cure skin conditions such as acne
  • Protect against food poisoning
  • Fight allergies in both humans and animals
  • Prevent muscle fatigue after exercise
  • Strengthen the immune system
  • Increase stamina
  • Increase metabolism which promotes weight loss
  • Improve digestion and cure constipation
  • Alleviate symptoms of arthritis and gout
  • Prevents bladder stones and urinary tract infections
You can take 1 to 2 tablespoon in a glass of water mixed with a little honey or agave nectar in the mornings. It is vinegar so the taste is strong, but diluted in water and with a little sweetener it is drinkable. It really isn't that great, so you can also use it in salad dressing or anything else you would use vinegar for. Try them!! You won't be disappointed. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment