Friday, June 18, 2010

Banana Coconut Flax Pancakes

What could be better!! High fiber pancakes from scratch!! I found this recipe on one of my new favorite blogs The Edible Perspective. One ingredient in these pancakes that I have never used is Coconut Flour! I was surprised I found it in the grocery store here, but was so happy when I did. Coconut Flour is a good source of protein, high in fiber, gluten free and low in digestible carbs. I followed the recipe exactly, and used Almond milk instead of coconut milk!

Banana Coconut Flax Pancakes
• 2T coconut flour
• 2T ground flax meal
• 1/2t baking powder
• pinch of salt
• 3/4t cinnamon
• 1/4c + 3T coconut milk [coconut milk is fairly thick, so if you’re using skim, almond, or another thin milk, decrease by 1T]
• 1 egg
• 2 egg whites
• 1/2 ripe banana
• 1t vanilla1. In a blender, blend eggs on high for about 30sec.
2. Heat + grease a large pan on medium/low heat. It takes longer, but will give you evenly browned, well cooked cakes!
3. Add other ingredients to blender and blend on medium speed for about 30sec.4. Let sit for a ~5 minutes [important step, so batter thickens] and then pour into the pan.
5. Cook for a few minutes on each side until evenly browned.I topped my pancakes with sliced banana, and fresh blueberries that I microwaved for 30 seconds! AMAZING way to start the day.

I just realized all my posts are about food, Justin or travel. It's not hard to see what my interests in life are! Have a good weekend.
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. These sound amazing! I make pancakes every Sunday morning and I'm getting tired of the boring multigrain ones. I'm going to try these this weekend :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll love them!! that recipe makes about 4 pancakes just so you know!! :)

    ReplyDelete