Monday, September 6, 2010

Healthy Banana Bread

Banana bread is one of my all time favorites. My mom baked the best banana bread when we were growing up. I have fond memories of waking up to the smell of banana bread so often. Even now whenever I go home to visit she will always make it for me. Recently I asked her for the recipe so I could start making it myself, and I realized how bad it was for you!!! One of the ingredients was Crisco, pure lard basically. So even though I would still eat hers when I am home, I didn't want to make a habit of making that all the time myself. So I have tried several recipes that were healthier that never really measured up to my mom's, until last week! I think I hit the jackpot. There is no sugar, you use the natural sweetener agave instead. And there is no eggs, no butter or Crisco, there is oil used but it is overall much healthier for you. Recipe below!

Dry Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour 2 cups
Sugar 3/4 cup - or .5 cup Agave Nectar
Oats (I used quick cooking oats) 1/2 cup
Baking Soda 3/4 teaspoon
Baking Powder 3/4 teaspoon
Salt 1/2 teaspoon

Wet Ingredients:
Oil (I used Canola) 1/3 cup - little less oil if using agave
Bananas, ripe, mashed (about 3 medium) 1 and 3/4 cups

1. Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Lightly grease the baking dish.
2. Using a mixer or hand blender puree the bananas.
3. To the banana mixture add the sugar(or agave) and oil; beat it well with a whisk or electric beater.
4. To the wet ingredients add the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt; mix until just combined.
5. Fill batter in greased baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.
I altered the original recipe from this Eggless Cooking website, check it out for more eggless recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment