Monday, October 25, 2010

Grateful

Because I live abroad I have a different life then most. I know we are so lucky to travel and experience things that most people will never be able to do, but with my expat life I do miss out on things that most people do have. Case and point, my baby shower. When my sister brought up throwing me a baby shower while I was home it made me uncomfortable. It has been almost 5 years since I have lived in California so many of my friends have moved away from here, or are not from California at all. When thinking of a shower, most people have all their best friends, family and family friends there to celebrate. But my best friends live all over the world now, a lot of my family does not live very close to where I grew up and I felt uncomfortable inviting family friends to bring me gifts when I never see them. I had stuck in my head that I needed to have a big guest list to have a shower, needed a registry like most expecting mom's do and I thought I had to have my shower be like all the other showers I hear about. It took me awhile to realize it is OK that I am not like everyone else, I don't have to do things like everyone else has done, and it is OK that my shower only had 5 friends there. In fact my shower was absolutely perfect in every way. My few good girlfriends mean the world to me, especially because we are separated by miles and miles. Even though all my invites were not able to make it due to not living in California, I was so grateful to spend quality time with the friends that could make it. There was no one else in the world that I would have wanted there, so even though I didn't have 30 plus people at my shower and I didn't get every thing I need for my baby like most people do, I loved my shower and will hold those memories with my great friend's and sister forever. My son will have many women in his life that are going to spoil and love him. I continue to learn and need to keep reminding myself that I can not compare myself or my situation to others, I am different then most people I know and I could not be more happy about that. I have always been an individual and I am grateful for the life I have.

Here are some pictures of the shower.As a fun game, we all decorated a onesie for baby Nicolson to wear. Here are a few of ours.
I made baby a sheriff (is it bad I gave my baby a gun already?!)Gina gave baby a six pack, chest hair and a bow tie. Haha.Sam made baby a business man, of course he needed a watch and pens.Everyone gave me ADORABLE outfits for our little man. It was so fun opening all the gifts and imagining a real baby being in them soon!5 months and 1 week pregnant! The belly is growing!My mom came even though she had spine surgery one week before.The adorable favors for all the guests.My sister was an amazing host, thank you Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment