Sunday, August 22, 2010

Baked Banana and Blueberry Oatmeal

This is a must try breakfast! I love my oatmeal in the morning, but this is a fun way to mix it up.

Ingredients:
1 cup blueberries
2 bananas sliced

2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 egg, beat (*I didn't have eggs so I substituted for ground flax seed)
1 mashed banana
1.5 cups skim milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix the wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine together. I folded in my blueberries once the wet and dry ingredients were mixed thoroughly. Grease a pie dish and line the bottom of the dish with the sliced bananas. Then cover with oats, and layer the rest of the sliced bananas on top. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes at 375. At 25 minutes, remove the dish and sprinkle brown sugar over the top and place back in the oven on broil for a few minutes. Watch the oven so it doesn't burn, and the sugar will caramelize on top. Remove once you see the sugar bubbling. If you let it cool for 10 minutes you can cut the pieces out like a pie, I was impatient and dug right in! We save the leftovers in the fridge and have it for breakfast in the days to follow.*Did you know ground flax seed can be used as a substitute for eggs?!?! I never knew this! This was the first time I experimented with it and it came out just the same as if I had used eggs. I have made this recipe quite a few times, but always with eggs and this one with flax tasted just as delicious. I will have to try this out with other recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment