Saturday, March 13, 2010

Obsession

Ok, so this post is mostly for my sister! She just wrote on her blog today about the oh so wonderful benefits of fiber. I wanted to share an oatmeal recipe that I have been wanting to make her the last few times I have been to California, but never have had the chance.

Before I get to the recipe you should know my sister and I are basically obsessed with fiber. In fact so many phone calls we have are laughing at the insane amount of fiber intake we had that day, or the new cereal we found with obscene amounts of fiber in it. Last summer I discovered my new best friend flax seed, which I try to share with everyone and I now seriously put it in everything. I have successfully converted my Mom and sister! Justin even laughs at how psycho I get at trying to add it to things (such as meatloaf!! haha). Basically you can add flax to anything and it has so many benefits to it including adding fiber to any dish.

So almost every morning, time permitting, I make myself the most scrumptious bowl of oatmeal you have ever had. I actually look forward to breakfast, and it is so healthy, filling and fiberlicious. Recipe below...

1/3 cup oatmeal (I'll use rolled oats but any type will work)
1/3 cup soy milk or skim milk (new favorite being organic low fat vanilla soy milk)
1/3 cup water
1/2 banana
1 tbsp of Bob Red Mill's ground flax seed (lets admit sometimes I go over this)
pinch of salt
dash of vanilla

Add the oatmeal, milk and water and thinly sliced banana to pan and put over medium heat. Leave for a few mins till it starts to bubble then you start to whip the oatmeal, making the banana's dissolve and make a creamy mix. Then I'll add the flax, salt and vanilla. I use vanilla instead of sugar, but you could of course use sugar. It is very surprising how sweet the bananas make this so I try to avoid using sugar if I don't need it. I usually top with blueberries and a splash of milk!! So good and so good for you!

Enjoy! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment