Sunday, October 23, 2011

Egg Allergy

So cousin Finn is in town. We have been having lots of fun with him so far. Saturday morning I thought it would be nice to make some homemade buttermilk blueberry pancakes for everyone. They were delicious, I seriously love pancakes! I thought it would be nice to let Charlie try some. Well about 10 minutes later I notice his upper lip is a bit swollen but write it off as teething since he is always chewing on his lips. But then we notice a crazy rash all over the little man's body. I sent this picture to my friend who is a doctor and she said it looked like an egg allergy. After going back and forth I decided with her advice to just call my doctor, who then advised us to come in. It was a food allergy, most likely to egg, and his lip swelling and rash were from the pancake! So crazy! They gave him an antihistamine and he was totally fine but in about a week we have to take Charlie back in for some food allergy tests. The one thing the doctor mentioned was the second time they eat a food they are allergic to, the reaction can be much worse. So he can not try any new foods until we have these tests done. Fortunately, an egg allergy usually clears up by 5 years old. But how sad if he can not eat cake or cookies, it would be so difficult when he goes to parties or friend's houses, but it will just be something we teach him and deal with. The doctor even mentioned we may have to carry an EpiPen with us in case he ate egg again on accident. I guess we will know more after the tests, the important thing is Charlie is fine and was not really affected too much since we made it to the doctor so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment