Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Life at home

We brought Charlie home on Monday after 4 days of being in the hospital. When my doctor had first told me that the general rule in Singapore is that you stay in hospital for 4 days after a normal delivery, I thought I definitely would be leaving before that. I thought I would just really want to get home and out of the hospital! But, they believe that the 3rd and 4th day of your baby's life is the hardest. This is when jaundice can appear, and also most breast feeding issues can happen once your milk supply comes in. I am SO thankful that I was around nurses, lactation consultants, my doctor and a pediatrician daily for those 4 days because Charlie did get jaundice and I did (and still am a little) struggle with breast feeding. Every time I fed Charlie, I had a nurse or consultant guiding me through it and showing me what to do and what not to do. It was such a great help, I hugged so many of the nurses before leaving because they really were a godsend! I know if I were sent home earlier I would have been so stressed and really struggling.

Here is us leaving the hospital, and us introducing Charlie to his new bedroom.We got home around 3pm, and all decided to go out for walk. It felt great to be outside after not leaving my hospital room for so long. We walked around the river and then went to the grocery store. Charlie started fussing a little as we were heading home because it was time for his next feed, but otherwise it was a great first outing!Yesterday, we took a short walk in the morning but otherwise just hung out at home. Charlie getting a semi bath, look at those eyes!My mom made us a delicious dinner and Michael came to visit us and meet Charlie for the first time. He brought a bottle of champagne and we all toasted to our little mister. I had a small glass of champagne, and a bigger glass of red wine!! Oh red wine, how I have missed you!Charlie and NanaCharlie and DaddyLast night was a pretty easy night, Charlie was up twice at 2:30 and at 6. In between feeds Justin and I slept really well and I am feeling rested this morning. To many more nights like this, fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Christina,

    You and your family are beautiful! I'm so happy to hear that you have had such a positive and breezy experience. I'm looking forward to keep in touch through your blog :) Congrats!!!!

    -Allie Friday

    ReplyDelete